Thursday, April 14, 2011

Building Trust with Your Customers

Most companies believe that they are trusted but don’t understand what they are doing to erode the trust. Have you ever called a company or service provider and been told “I’m sorry, it’s not our policy”?

I don’t know about you but I find it infuriating to be treated as a policy instead of an individual. I want them to be sorry and fix the problem or at the very least acknowledge me as a person.

Imagine how you would feel if they said (and meant it) “I’m so sorry – what can we do to make this right?”

Anyone who is working on the front line needs the authority to take responsibility. Don’t blame policy, the company or someone else. Just take ownership even if it is to say “Clearly we did not _____ effectively”

Acknowledge their pain and show you care about them as a person who has feelings. Even if they are being a jerk on the outside, clearly there is something that is making them unhappy. Hear that and care about it. You'll take your customer service from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds flat!

No comments:

Post a Comment