Friday, April 29, 2011

New Adventures - A Move to an Exotic Land!

My husband Ric and I love adventure. When we met, he was a fresh university grad working and saving money for a trip through Africa. He had his itinerary booked for an overland excursion that took him from North Africa to South Africa, ending with a climb up Mount Kilimanjaro. We weren’t expecting to fall in love and thought that the relationship would end with his departure.

8 months after he left Canada, I flew and met him in Kenya. For a year we traveled throughout Africa and Europe collecting enough stories and pictures to last a lifetime. We stayed in small villages in Kenya, learned how to scuba dive in Egypt, ate and drank our body weight in Italy and France and before we flew back to Canada we married in a beautiful village in France. It was a precursor to the bestselling book  "Eat, Pray, Love" although ours was called “Eat,Dive, Love”

27 years and two children later we were pretty settled in to a comfortable lifestyle in the beautiful hamlet of Bedford, Nova Scotia. Our children are grown and out of the house and I know most people at our stage are talking about retirement. Ric and I talked about wanting another exciting journey. We wondered if it was possible.

We decided to throw our request out to the universe and the universe responded. 3 days after we had that talk about wanting to live somewhere exciting, an opportunity came for a 2 – 3 year posting in Mumbai India.

So, in May Ric will leave for his new position as Lead of Product Management for an Indian Telecommunication company. I’ll be joining him in Mumbai once our house sells. I don’t know what the next 2 – 3 years will bring but I’m excited about the not knowing. I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to do training and speaking over there but I’m open to whatever happens.  If you happen to be in that part of the world, look us up… and be ready for an adventure!

5 comments:

  1. I'll use a Shawshank Redemption quote to say how I'm feeling about this:

    "Sometimes it makes me sad, though... Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."

    Kind of sad that you're leaving, yet kind of stoked to come to Mumbai!

    Love,

    Sheena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the news is out! Another big adventure! Oh my, it makes me wistful. I'm wondering if I have another big adventure left in me. And I will miss my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxanne MacLeodMay 2, 2011 at 2:37 PM

    Congratulations to you both, Lea. It is amazing how soon after our prescient lunch conversation this all came together. As we said then, the universe can be incredibly responsive when the intention is clear.
    Mumbai sounds exotic, and intense and life changing - excellent way to start the next chapter! Good luck with the house, and do stay in touch! Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Lea & Ric!!!

    Too bad you can't keep the house & rent it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic opportunity, and very exciting! All the best...

    (Will be there in Jan 2012, so will be sure to hook up!)

    Randall

    ReplyDelete